Monday, August 14, 2017

Forgiving

Luke 7:47
“I tell you, her sins – and they are many – have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love.  But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.”  Then Jesus said to the woman, “Your sins are forgiven.” 

I caught her. 
It was so obvious.  I had no doubt.
Instead of using the SRA answer cards for self-checking, she was using them to write the answers. 
I was offended. My feelings were hurt. Why would she do this to me?

It was my first serious discipline issue: cheating.  And it meant I had to contact her parents to explain the situation before I could administer the consequence.  Yes, that consequence, the one with a paddle.

My heart pounded as I gathered the courage to share with her mother the terrible crime her child had committed. Jesus, take the wheel. Likely, the first tactful words ever came from my mouth: Cheating is a form of lying, and I know that you don’t want your daughter to develop a habit of being untruthful . . . .

Despite the discomfort of the consequence, the next part was the most important:  Even though I have to punish you for doing wrong, I still love you.  I want you to learn from this mistake.

In a Nutshell
We need to forgive students for their mistakes; their mistakes are not indictments of us.


O, merciful God.  I praise you! You have shown me mercy by forgiving all of my sins.  Every morning when I come to you, you are gracious to forgive me, again, for my sinfulness.  Thank you.  Lord, help me to forgive others as you have forgiven me.  Let me not hold grudges that would prevent me from receiving your forgiveness and loving you with my whole heart.  In Christ’s name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!