Monday, September 26, 2016

Shadows Dancing on the Eaves

Lounging dockside in this glorious first fall weekend weather, I am humbled by God's goodness.

I have so much to be thankful for, yet I take so much for granted, rarely realizing how drastically our situation, like that of others, could change in a single moment.

So many around us are sick and in pain; the bad news has poured in lately - students, colleagues, friends, and friends-of-friends.  My prayer list has grown longer nearly every day over the past couple of weeks.

As I flipped page after page through my Bible this weekend, I became more aware of my shortcomings.  God wants us to thank Him, to praise Him.  Do I do this enough?

My prayers seem to begin with "God, please do this and please do that . .  ."  After all, I firmly believe in His healing power and I pray for healing for these people.

But have I been expressing my gratitude to Him?  His Word reminds me that we no longer have to make sacrificial offerings of slaughter; instead, our sacrifice is in the form of thankfulness.
Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and keep the vows you made to the Most High.  Then call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory.  Psalm 50: 14-15
But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me.  If you keep to my path, I will reveal to you the salvation of God.  Psalm 50:23
Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done.  Philippians 4:6  
Praise the Lord; praise God our Savior! For each day he carries us in his arms.  Psalm 68:19
 You thrill me Lord, with all you have done for me!  I sing for joy because of what you have done.  Psalm 92:4
 Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me.  He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases.  Psalm 103: 2-3
It's really nice when someone says "Thank you" for something I've done; it warms my heart, makes me smile inside.  It feels good to be appreciated. On the flip side, it's disappointing to work hard, to do for others time and again and never hear a word of thanks.  Makes you wonder if anyone even noticed you did something for them.

I suppose God can feel the same way.  He does for us over & over, yet our thanks and praise is haphazard.

As I continue on this joy journey, practicing my attitude of gratitude, I am grateful

  • for a husband who's easy going, takes me camping to get away from home on the weekends, enjoys the quiet of our company
  • for a daughter who's finding her calling in the work of patient care, whose medical knowledge far surpasses anything I could ever hope to know, whose kindness and compassion for others is evidenced in her work every day
  • for a son whose sense of adventure, confidence in himself and willingness to work have taken him far from home
  • for a family who shares so we could enjoy the beauty of the lake, the shade of a cozy dock and the quiet calm of the water this weekend
  • for a job I look forward to every morning, that challenges me to continually grow
  • for health, for annual doctor visits, for follow-ups with "no findings," for His healing
  • for Spider Lilies that pop up once a year en masse
  • for shadows that dance on the eaves
  • for a gentle God-nudge reminding me to express my gratitude, to be thankful, to praise Him
In a Nutshell
Recognize God's goodness in every part of your life.  Thank Him and praise Him continually, for even shadows dancing on the eaves are a gift from Him.

For what are you thankful today?












No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!