Saturday, October 22, 2016

Search for the Hidden Treasure

It's been 81 days since I asked our faculty to begin journaling their joy moments.  I know it takes commitment, time, effort to focus on the positive in your day to day activities, and sometimes we feel that we don't have any of that left to do one more thing. 

That's why I decided to start my mornings with my joy journal -- it's the first thing in my day, not the last. This allows me to reflect on yesterday and to prepare for today.

I've felt better since I've been doing this, but I didn't consider that it was evident on the outside.  Until this week when someone I haven't seen in a while commented. And then I knew for sure that this "joy thing" is working.  

Don't get me wrong, my days haven't been perfect.  Aggravation sets in sometimes. I get cranky. My to-do list is growing, not shrinking - nothing is getting crossed off.  But even in difficult situations, I've had a sense of peace that I hadn't previously had.  

I'm telling you this to say, if you haven't made joy journaling a daily habit, now's the time.  Start today!  

I thought this passage from Sarah Young was a perfect prompt to remind us to seek Joy everyday:  
"On some days Joy is generously strewn along your life-path, glistening in the sunlight.  On days like that, being content is as simple as breathing the next breath or taking the next step.  Other days are overcast and gloomy; you feel the strain of the journey, which seems endless.  Dull gray rocks greet your gaze and cause your feet to ache.  Yet Joy is still attainable.  Search for it as for hidden treasure."
In a Nutshell
When you conscientiously seek joy in the small moments of every day, you will develop a positive mindset and an inner peace that will shine through on the outside.  Search for the hidden treasure of joy in your life.  Journal it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!